Monday 22 February 2016

BA1b Third Project: Advanced Modelling (Antique Telephone)



When it came to working on the telephone I wanted to do as best as possible. The lower half was done mainly in drop in sessions and I was able to get advice about modelling it while at the same time learning about edge loops, and how to correctly snap polygons together. The top half of the phone however was done mainly at home with a little help along the way. I’m very happy how the model came out and how much detail I was able to but in.



Each piece of the model was made individually. everything from the base to the cord was made individually and then put together piece by piece. This made the work flow fairly easy as i knew what piece would have to be modelled next and could work to it accordingly.


As I built the Telephone I was able to feel a sense of pride as I saw my mesh coming together and becoming one. On the down side of using this method i can see how this could says problems when it came to scale. If there are any other ways to make something like this other then making it piece by piece and snapping it together i don't know but i can image how if a person is constantly building and adding that scale can become an issue. However this can also be an issue for any 3D model and I don't feel like I experienced it while making this.




Although I wasn’t able to get the model 100% exact I am still very proud of my work. This being a high-poly model with all the detail put in I can say that I feel it looks like a real phone. For me the most challenging thing about modelling the phone was the cord. Even today I still find it confusing when trying to figure it out. 

[Un-smoothed Version of the telephone]
[Smoothed Version of the telephone]


There are aspects I would have liked to change that being bringing the dials buttons in and possibly some of the proportions of the lower half of the phone; even so I am very happy with this piece.
Some aspects of the telephone were harder then others such as the dial, cord, and minor details. Although I am finding using Maya more and more comfortable, when it comes to knowing all the shortcuts, little tricks and other such things to fully utilise the programme I am still a bigger; so making the dial and the cord, I still find such things difficult. As I have been using Maya more and more I’m finding that making more complex meshes and understanding how to break a complex shape down and creating a mesh modelling it is slowly becoming easier.

Close up of each main piece of the telephone:

[Wireframe Mesh of Telephone: Dial]
[Smoothed Version]


[Wireframe Mesh of Telephone: Main Body]
[Smoothed Version]


[Wireframe Mesh of Telephone: Stand]
[Smoothed Version]


[Wireframe Mesh of Telephone: Handle Holder]
[Smoothed Version]


[Wireframe Mesh of Telephone: Handle]
[Smoothed Version]


[Wireframe Mesh of Telephone: Receiver]
[Smoothed Version]


[Wireframe Mesh of Telephone: Top Half of Transmitter]
[Smoothed Version]


[Wireframe Mesh of Telephone: Transmitter]
[Smoothed Version]


[Wireframe Mesh of Telephone: Entire Cord]
[Wireframe Mesh of Telephone: Cord Close Up]
[Smoothed Version]

No comments:

Post a Comment